Homecoming Week

Cora Custer, Author

The week of September 13-18 was homecoming week at RCHS. This is a week that many students look forward to every year. The theme this year was “dancing through the decades.” Each class had it’s own decade as their theme; the freshmen had the 1950’s, the sophomores had the 1960’s, the juniors had the 1970’s, and the seniors had the 1980’s. Throughout the week, students dressed from the past, the future, and as their class decade.

The homecoming cookout was held on Thursday the 16. The seniors took the win for the games. The games included ultimate Frisbee, corn hole,  and tug of war.

The parade was also held on Thursday the 16, where the seniors again took the win for the best float. The senior football players gave their speeches on the courthouse steps. Students were very grateful to be able have the parade and the hype session on the steps, as we were not able to last year due to COVID.

The homecoming football game took place on Friday the 17 at Hinshaw Field. The Lions fell to the Connersville Spartans but the student section was still full of pride. The theme was neon night and many students were dressed in bright colors. Homecoming court was crowned at the game, with Audrey Gettinger and Marlin Hershberger being crowned king and queen.

The homecoming dance was held on Saturday the 18 at the Rushville Farmers Market. This was the first year that the dance was held outside. Many students liked having the dance outside, as it was more spacious and a change from the cafeteria. The venue was decorated with string lights, balloons, and decor from the decades. While the venue was different, students still had an amazing night.

Students were very grateful to be able to have a normal homecoming week this year. The seniors were especially  grateful to get one last good homecoming week. The admiration surrounding homecoming week is certainly well deserved.