NO MORE HOMEWORK!

Megan Bradley, Author

Senior Macy Hoeing "This is an unhealthy amount of homework."
Megan Bradley

Most teachers and administrators will read the title of this article and move on because they won’t give us ignorant and obnoxious teenagers the time of day. Some will read this and assume it’s just another kid complaining about homework because they’re lazy. However, it’s not. 

Once upon a time, students were the only ones who complained about having homework. Teachers and parents thought for years that homework was a necessary tool in children’s education. But homework studies were conflicting and inconclusive, leading some adults to argue that homework should be a thing of the past. 

Homework leaves students with physical and emotional stress. Researchers at Indiana University found that math and science homework didn’t actually help course grades (“Should Students Have Homework?”). They only improved standardized test scores. Now does that make any sense? Unfortunately for teachers and administrators, school funding is based on student’s performance on standardized tests like the ISTEP. 

What school administrators found in Marion County, Florida is that homework can improve grades when learning a specific topic (“Should Students Have Homework?”). However, there is no reason to assign 50 math problems when 10 will do. In Psychology Today, child psychologist Kenneth Barish wrote that fighting over homework rarely leads to an improvement in school for a child (“Should Students Have Homework?”). Kids who do not do homework, he said, are not lazy, but may be irritated, depressed, or nervous (“Should Students Have Homework?”). 

In many cases, students have other responsibilities outside of school such as; sports, jobs, or chores. It may be eight or nine o’clock at night before students even remotely think of beginning their homework. Science teacher Ms. Edwards states, “I give [students] time in class to get homework done so [they] shouldn’t ever have to take it home.” Later she states, “I don’t assign homework because I know it won’t get done.” She is completely correct! As a student who has a job after school and other responsibilities, I have to prioritize what homework gets done each day. Right about now, a teacher is thinking, “learn to manage your time.” Time management only works when students have enough time to manage in the first place.